Throughout life people go through various obstacles in which they must persevere, learn, and grow from. Although each person’s life paths and lessons may differ, everyone at some point obtains one of the most valuable lessons in life, self-love and self-acceptance. Like any other subject, some comprehend the concept, others do not.
For those in this life who have not been able to say “I love myself” and genuinely mean it, here are some things I’ve learned along my journey that have led me to loving who I am unconditionally and unapologetically being myself.
- Stop caring about what other people think of you. Wear what you want to wear, dye your hair any color of the rainbow and then some, make weird facial expressions all the time, dance around when you want to, be loud, be quiet, be nerdy, be whatever it is that makes you the most comfortable and the happiest and don’t give a damn what anyone else has to say or think about it. You’re probably way happier than they are in that moment anyways so live it up!!
- SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE THAT BRING LIGHT AND JOY INTO YOUR LIFE!!! If you surround yourself with negative people that bring you down constantly, you’re going to feel down constantly. It’s no surprise. Don’t hesitate to cut the negative people out of your life and don’t feel guilty about doing it. Always do what’s best for you and what will improve your life and happiness.
- DO NOT LIMIT YOURSELF! Don’t put yourself into a box and convince yourself that you’re only capable of that much and nothing more. You are capable of anything you put your mind to, you just need to put in the time and effort. The amount of success you have in your life and all of your achievements are because of you and your desire to complete those goals. Cut yourself some slack and believe in yourself every once and a while.
- Stop trying to live up to other people’s expectations. Do what makes you feel most alive and don’t be afraid to chase your dreams. If the only thing holding you back from going for something you really want is the fear of disappointing others, you are not living for yourself.
- When you feel a bit off or are in a funk, don’t be afraid to take some time for yourself and do things you purely enjoy. TREAT YO’ SELF.
- Always remember that different people like different things, and unfortunately there are a lot of judgmental and close minded people in this world, but don’t let them stop you from doing what makes you happy. You’re a beautiful one of a kind person that has incredible talents and abilities to offer this world.
It is not expected that after you read this you’ll have a moment of sudden self-realization and your third eye will open or anything, but just keep these things in mind whenever you catch yourself feeling down. The key to happiness is self-love/acceptance, kindness, and positivity.